Woman laying on a bed with a monitor on

Induction at 42 weeks – My birth story

In honour of national share a story month, I thought I would share one of the two stories that got me here today! This story is the birth of my youngest son, Kaiden and how our induction went!

A quick disclaimer

Before we start I do just want to put a disclaimer that in this blog post I will try to be as open and honest as I can be about my induction, so there will be talk about blood, mucus plugs and there will be a few pictures of me breastfeeding! I also wasn’t asked or paid to mention anyone in this post!

My due date

 I suppose my birth story starts really on my due date. I had booked in 2 weeks prior to come down on the 16th of June (My due date) and have a cervical sweep done. ( a cervical sweep is when your midwife puts a finger (or 2) into your cervix and moves it in a circular motion and essentially try to ‘massage’ your cervix to see if they can get your body to release the hormone needed to kick off labour naturally. If the sweep was successful then you will go into labour within 48 hours. I personally never found that this hurts but it can be uncomfortable depending on how far back your cervix is and how gentle the midwife is. 

2nd Sweep

Off I went, 48 hours past and nothing had happened. So I booked to go in the following Sunday (24th June) for a second sweep. At this point, I was 2-3cm dilated. I went away and again had absolutely nothing. We had booked another follow-up appointment 2 days later if I didn’t go into labour in the meantime.  The second time around the sweep a bit more uncomfortable (It wasn’t excruciating) and was harder for my midwife to perform. I had already told Mike and myself that if the second sweep didn’t work I wasn’t going to be having another at the next appointment. At this point, I knew I was going to have to have an induction.

3 days later…

On the 27th June, I had the follow-up appointment with my midwife told that I was booked in for an induction on Saturday 30th and I just had to wait for a phone call. 

Induction day!

By 12pm on Saturday (30th) I hadn’t heard anything so I gave them a call. They told me that they were so busy they wouldn’t be able to get me in today but if I called again at 6 pm then they would check again. I was so emotional and uncomfortable, I just wanted to have my baby! We called at 6 pm and they told me they still had no bed available. I asked if they could send me to another hospital. At this point, I would have travelled anywhere if it meant having this baby. An hour later I got a phone call from St Richards hospital, this was the next closest hospital that had a maternity unit. They called to tell me that they could bring me in and induce me.

I could have cried! By 8 pm that evening, we were there being admitted. The welcome was brilliant! They sat us down and explained the process to us both and that it was going to take a little bit longer to start as I wasn’t under already under the hospitals maternity unit. They put me on a monitor and trace the babies heart rate, take some bloods to get so basic readings as they will have to keep a close eye on him throughout the whole process. 

Woman laying on a bed with a monitor on
The monitor on recording his heart rate!

At 10 pm they gave me an exam and decided I was already dilated enough that I could have my waters broken. But first I had to wait for a doctor to come out of theatre to give the go-ahead in case they needed to rush me down. 

Getting started

At 12 pm we were taken into a delivery room and connected back up to the monitor. In my birth story with my eldest, I mentioned that I had a very quick labour (click here to read my other birth story)  of 6 hours and 46 mins, which is normally what they would expect your second labour to be. Although labour is sometimes slower when you have an induction.

We went through this, what types of pain relief I wanted to use and whether I wanted to have a water birth. The room its self was amazing. It had our own toilet/ shower room, a very big birthing pool. 

Birthing room with brith pool  used at induction
Our birth room with a birthing pool

At 12:15 am on the 1st July the midwife came in and broke my waters. This process didn’t hurt but it was uncomfortable. They use a plastic crochet hook type instrument to pierce the sack of water. The midwife gave me the gas and air and got me to take a few deep breaths before she did it to help me relax. It honestly felt like I had wet myself, I had so much water that it was dripping off the table. The midwife explained that I may find the contractions hit me all of a sudden because m body was basically being forced into labour.  For the next 30 minutes, I had to stay on the monitor to make sure the baby was still happy. Almost immediately I felt the lower backache you normally get in early labour and they were showing up as contractions on the monitor.

The sound of his heart beat on the monitor!

Labour begins!

By 1:15 am I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes and I felt like I had to pee with every contraction. At 1:30 am they checked me again and I was 4cam and I could now use the gas and air, I was so relieved. Things were happening a lot quicker then I expected and I was in a little bit of shock. 

Mike’s mum was my second birthing partner and she wasn’t allowed to the hospital with us until I was in labour. I told Mike he best go and call his mum because this baby isn’t hanging around. At 1:45 am I began to feel the urge to push and I physically felt him move down into position. My midwife told me to just go with my body and what it was telling me. 

Needing a catheter

A team came in and put a catheter in to empty my bladder. My bladder was stopping his head from coming down ( which is why when I was having a contraction, I felt as though I had to wee) They also began to explain that when I was having a contraction his heart rate was dropping. (This happened with Cohen and they had to give me some assistance.)

Talks of a ventouse

Between the brief moments, I was able to absorb what happening around me, I heard them mention that they may have to use a ventouse to Mike. A ventouse is a silicone,  suction cup they place on top of babies head and they use it to help pull the babies head down. I wanted to avoid this if possible, so I knew I had to put my all into it. I pushed and pushed with a room full of people cheering me on, telling me how well I was doing. Just as I was pushing his head out Mike’s mum arrived and just managed to see the birth. 2 or 3 more really big pushes and he was born. 

Ventouse on a blue back ground
Ventouse – Image taken from researchgate.net

He’s finally here!

At 2:07 am on the 1st of July 2018. Kaiden Alenco Brown was born weighing a very healthy 9lb 8oz. I had to have some stitches as I had a 2nd-degree tear. He managed to latch on start away and breastfeed! We were so happy to finally have him here and he was born the day before his big brother’s birthday!

I really couldn’t/ can’t thank St Richards hospital enough! If you in or around the West Sussex area, I 100% recommend them. If we ever have another baby, I will be going there rather then our previous hospital. Check out their maternity suit here! They helped me stay really calm and gave me the best possible experience with our induction.

If you like this blog post them I would love it if you checked out a couple of my other posts!

How to potty train with a speech delay

My birth stoy – Cohen


Please follow and like us:
Posts created 159

One thought on “Induction at 42 weeks – My birth story

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Begin typing your search term above and press enter to search. Press ESC to cancel.

Back To Top
Follow by Email